Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Collective Consciousness of Twitter

The term "collective consciousness" has a long history in social theory and has gained some common usage but I am particularly interested in its use pertaining to Twitter. When I was in high school around 1990 I read a book by Marvin Minsky titled The Society of Mind which describes a theory of human intelligence. About that same time there was talk of an "information superhighway" that would be built upon something called the Internet. I put these concepts together along with some other ideas from science fiction and projected that this new thing would become a giant thinking "brain" that would eventually develop its own behaviors and come up with ideas on its own. In other words I thought the internet would develop its own consciuosness. Well back in 1990 I figured that by the year 2000 this would surely have already come about. Now I think I may be lucky if I ever see it happen within my own lifetime. But make no mistake, I think it is happening and I think Twitter is currently the leading edge. I'm still very excited about this, in fact I'm probably more excited than ever. I am going to continue to blog about this concept and I am going to promote it on Twitter. This is one reason I have decided to take a break from my Twitter habit to further develop this idea. When I do finally get back to Twittering on a regular basis I will have an additional focus.

3 comments:

abe said...

"When I do finally get back to Twittering on a regular basis I will have an additional focus."
Oh? Then we are all in big trouble.

andi said...

Nahhh... just you abe, you're in big trouble. You'd better behave. :)

Nat said...

Don't think an inanimate object can "create" consciousness. First you need consciousness, then something can happen within that (i.e. a human being).

Your work is very fascinating, though, and I've just discovered it. Will run through it over the coming days and holla atcha. I'm @CounteroCulture on Twitter.