Tuesday, February 08, 2005

"New Items" working well...

Why not just a blog? Well, blogs are more clumsy than a headline service like "New Items." The home page already gets a lot of built-in traffic which is increasing more rapidly than I had anticipated with the "New Items" feature.

The drawback of less comment space can be overcome simply by linking to this page and commenting here--if need be. But most often I'd prefer not to comment anyway, and that's why a blog seems too clumsy. There is the temptation to do too much with it and "be all things" and I think I'm pushing the edge of that boundary now. I must define the limits of "New Items" more carefully. I cannot add too many news items, just those that I think may be under covered elsewhere. "New Items" should be limited to just useful links and links to useful tools.

RSS syndication for "New Items" would be difficult, perhaps beyond my level of competence. I don't want to mess with coding any more if I don't have to, I want to spend my time surfing, selecting and posting. I'd prefer that people just visit the site and not get it fed to their reader. Maybe that's not realistic for the long-term but it seems to be working now.


No comments: