Monday, February 14, 2005

More on "why not a blog?"

In order to be noticed one must be:

1) The first
2) The best
3) Different

1) I can't be the first or even among the first. My first blogger account began in early 2002 and had I pursued it then I perhaps could have been among the first. But I let it lie fallow and I don't think I even have the password to that account anymore, it is defunct. I began Andilinks instead because it seemed like the best vehicle for learning about the internet (and organizing what I learned). It is true that the entire site is the external portion of my study notes. :)

2) As much as I admire my own discipline and abilities I entertain no fantasy that I could be among the best bloggers.

3) Andilinks is different, and I am very good at this different modality. Here I have a shot at being noticed. BTW, Andilinks is doing well with ad revenues, better I suspect than all but the very top ranks of the blogosphere. So compared with blogs, Andilinks is a better business model and much more scalable. And different.

It is also idiosyncratic enough to be very difficult to copy and maintain. Yes, it would be very easy to copy and paste, but to maintain the back end would require a programming effort such that it would be easier to just begin from scratch. Something I may have to do one day myself--with the benefit of having done it once the hard way.

2 comments:

MiniMediaGuy said...

Andilinks is an amazing feat of organization! I cannot recall how I stumbled across it, but I applaud your efforts and encourage you to continue. I will mention your work soon in my own blog (minimediaguy.blogspot.com) Regards, Tom Abate

Anonymous said...

andilinks.com looks like a big friggin mess to me. Just looking for something is painful. It looks as if a scatter brain put it together and I can just imagine what her house looks like. I picture tons of cats running around old hard SCSI hard drives and memory on top of books on top of dishes on top of clothes....well you get my drift. I see dupe content written all over the site. And I also don't agree that messy is unique or "special" in some kind of wierdo way.