Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The Survival of Western Civilization

The title of this post is the title of Robert Ringer's essay sent to me by my Twitter friend @SteveBayrd today. He asked me to comment and no comment worthy of this piece would fit in a tweet or three. As a libertarian I agree with Ringer completely, we may differ only in prioritizing the various threats but are in total agreement that these threats could bring down our civilization. I am also in agreement with his conclusion that practical conservatism must partner with libertarianism though I do need some elaboration on practical conservatism. He makes many important points that I have not listed here, please read the whole thing.

Ringer's arguments:

1. For political systems reality trumps theory.
2. Real communism, enforced by dictatorship, never becomes what theory predicts.
3. Theoretical libertarianism cannot exist in reality.
4. Libertarianism by its nature cannot be enforced.
5. Our civilization is under attack from within and without.
6. Libertarianism alone cannot stand against these attacks.
7. Practical conservatism must partner with libertarianism as junior partner.

1 comment:

SteveBayrd said...

Thanks again, Andi. As with all commentary, writing and thought, one seldom if ever has full agreement. I have been reading Ringer's books since the 70's and always found some things I could not fully agree with. However, he encapsulated many profound concepts that helped me build my own ideas of freedom and rational thought. If I recall correctly, he quoted Ayn Rand fairly often; another foundational thinker.

In later years I have reread his early books but lost touch with Ringer as a writer. I didn't even know if he was still with us. I recently searched and found he was still going strong. I'm now going through his website to review his recent efforts. I'll let you know if I find more things of interest.

Finally, I know you get praise and damnation as you fight for freedom so eloquently. It is one of the highlights of my day to watch you dispense wisdom and justice to the Twitterverse. As someone who lived a fantastic life on the front-line of American exceptionalism, my "retirement" is rewarded by your great mind and fine work. Thank you.