Saturday, October 03, 2009

OK, I was wrong on the Polanski extradition

But forgiveness is still divine. As Jonah Goldberg points out in his column, even if Polanski were totally innocent of the charges against him there would still be the necessity of bringing him back to the US because he fled a charge of which he was convicted and bringing him back preserves the integrity of the rule of law.

I am still disturbed though about the ferocity with which I was attacked when I suggested that his 30+ year-old crime(s) be forgiven. I was particularly disturbed that so many assaulted me with the horrendous details of sexual perversion that attended the crimes. If this behavior were recent or shown to be a pattern with him I would feel differently but I contend that the concept of forgiveness, especially when the danger to the community has passed, is absolute. Christ did not say forgive unless you can't. He said forgive.

And I will be attacked again for this. I don't want to hear the sordid details again, those of you that have committed these to memory have a profound sickness of your own.

1 comment:

Nat said...

I love it when Andi stops Twittering long enough to post a new blog post.

Girl, you go right ahead & be yoself & no one else.

I take the position that you must bring him in to do the time or else you send a signal to future would-be child rapers that as long as they can get out of the country they'll be okay. That puts a big wedge in their figurative decision tree when they are standing there thinking, "Should I or should I not rape this child?" A wedge which is likely to (obviously) make it more appealing to the Chime.

This message was brought to you by YOURS TRULY the revolution starter Nat Hunt.